Sunday, January 23, 2011

A memorable dinner I can't remember and ladybug rocks.

This past week needs a bulleted list to sum up.

  • I quit my job at Southland as the Poker Room Manager and accepted a position with Horseshoe Tunica as a floor supervisor/jack of all trades in their poker room. I start tomorrow. Go me.
  • Scott and I each played two events in Biloxi, I cashed none, he cashed one. I fail.
  • Scott and I had dinner at BR Prime with Monkey, Chad Brown, Kai Landry, Claudia "The Claw" Crawford and two floor/dealer people who shall remain anonymous. This dinner revealed several things.
    • Lemon Creme Brulee = Not so good.
    • Chad was a gangsta in High School.
    • Kai is delighted by spinach leaves
    • Wine can actually be described as "leathery"
    • You can make the waitstaff in a AAA rated 4 star restaurant laugh by saying the words "Chicken Dick".  Repeatedly.
    • $1,000 is the approx. cost for 8 people to gorge themselves on an extravagant meal, and then tip appropriately.
    • BR Prime does not in fact serve oysters from Seattle and their name is not "Six".
  • (1) Margarita, (1) Double Captain and Coke (1) Malibu Slammer (1) Shot of Patron (many) glasses of wine (1) Amaretto Sour (2.5) Red Snappers happens to be the exact amount of alcohol it takes for me to be obnoxious enough to get pushed out of bed, fully clothed, onto the floor where I will proceed to lay and talk shit for the following thirty minutes.
  • Saw Vince Neil in concert with Scott.  He put on a hell of a show for the 40 minutes he could be bothered to perform.  20 minutes it was just his band, and then the show was just over. It was overly disappointing but we managed to have fun the short while we were there.
Now, to the not so bulleted list.  Monk has a great blog post (Available Here) about the politics behind him being prohibited from playing in the Southern Championship.  I can't write a whole lot about this because of politics, and unlike him.. I am not in a position to speak entirely freely about the powers that be in poker.  I have to keep things civil if I want to keep my sources open for writing.  But he was missed, and the poker room was decidedly more dull without his presence.

My friend Scott and I have always had a pretty open and honest relationship.  That night, with the tequila and the butt prints on the mirrors? He got every gory detail. My on again off again flirtation with a maniacal man who may very well be the devil, he eventually gets all the details too.  And then, out of nowhere, he shows up at the poker table with a little painted rock card protector . A blue ladybug rock.  This rock is so gay, it made me want to sing show tunes. Which means one of a few things are possible. 1.. This rock is a gift. From a lady friend. And he's withholding information. It would have to be a lady friend because absolutely no respectable male would be associated with this bug rock.  2. He bought this rock himself. In which case, this is the single most embarassing thing I can think of.  3. He painted it himself.  Strike number two off the list as the single most embarassing thing I can think of. 

Either way, this stupid rock has ruined my life.  It means that there is something I don't know, and I HATE not knowing. More importantly, it means that I may need to start accepting applications for Scott's replacement.  Because, as we all know, nothing good comes after a man shows up with a ladybug rock.

If you would like to apply for the position, please send all applications to JenniferGay@hotmail.com. Job description includes: A willingness to take lengthy obscure trips to play poker in random destinations, be willing to be introduced as my cousin/brother/lover/ex/the homeless person I picked up on the side of the road/BFF alternately as needed and an open mind about glitter, high heels and assless leather chaps.

If for some reason we manage to survive the tragedy that is the ladybug rock, I will keep suitable applications on file for a year as possible alternates.  Scott is getting on up there in the years, and it never hurts to have a backup plan just in case a hip goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment